Sunday, February 12, 2012

finished!

Painting the piano was a fun project, and it's always nice to get through a task without any mishaps; I once tried to dip my paintbrush in my coffee cup, but that's just me attempting to multitask. Something that immediately struck me is that my piano now looks smaller! Weird, but I like that. Also, I've never admired my piano's legs before now (was that awkward?).

Having never used glaze, I was apprehensive. Something I learned along the way is, you need way, way less than you think. I used about 1/4 - 1/2 cup for the whole piano, so a quart will be plenty for several projects. I used 3 parts glaze to 1 part paint (about). Another handy tip: work in a small area - you will have better control over the look you want. I just brushed on with one hand, and wiped it off with the other (it dries quickly) - pretty simple.

After getting the black glaze on, I liked how it toned down the bright blue, but now I felt like I needed something to tone down the black glaze! Do I have an obsessive problem? I applied a mixture of cream paint, grey paint, and glaze and, voila!, I've toned down the black. But now I felt I needed to blend the whole look a bit (I do have a problem), so I made Aquarium-tinted glaze and did a light application on the large areas only. All of this sounds like a lot of work, but it's not. I used disposable cups to blend glaze and paint, and you use so little, and it dries so quickly that it doesn't take much time. It's easier to deal with than paint. I really do love how it turned out!


I like the end result best, but my stinky camera just doesn't do it justice! My 4 year old tells me "it looks soft and grand".

Thanks for holding my hand along the way! What are your thoughts on how it has turned out?

I'm feeling inspired to start another project....Are you up for it? This proposed project will cost me nothing. That's the type that really appeals to me.


Here's the cost break down, if you're nerdy:
Kilz: $17
Aquarium Paint: $55
wooden scroll: $7
faux glaze: $15
favorite painting jeans: priceless (cheesy, I know)

(First post on the subj. HERE , second post HERE, third post HERE, and you're on the fourth.)

3 comments:

Abby said...

It really looks lovely!

Esther said...

Thanks! I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out until the very last step, but now I love it.

Katy said...

Looks great! I'm quite impressed! "soft and grand"... Love it!